The first settlements around Pompeii appeared during the middle Bronze Age. By the sixth century BCE, Pompeii became a permanent settlement. Early buildings included a Temple to Apollo and a Temple of Hercules and Minerva.
When Mount Vesuvius erupted in August 24, 79 CE, the towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum were buried and 25,000 people perished! In 1599 CE Pompeii was rediscovered. Herculaneum was uncovered in 1738.
The excavation of Pompeii has given us an intimate understanding of the society, art, and architecture of Roman life in the first century CE
This Historical Replica Set of Pompeii includes six replicas of Roman coins found in Pompeii:
* Tiberius, Bronze As. The original was struck in 22 CE
* Claudius, Gold Aureus. The original coin was struck in Lugdunum in 51 CE
* Vespasian, Gold Aureus. The original was struck in Rome in 73 CE
* Nero, Copper Sestertius. The original coin was struck in Lugdunum 65 CE
* Augustus, Copper As. The original issued to honor Augustus was struck by Tiberius in Rome between 22 to 30 CE
* Caligula, Brass As. The original was struck in Rome in 37 CE
This Historical Replica Set includes six (6) double-sided Museum-Quality Replica coins! These coins are replicas and made of lead free pewter. Each coin is marked "COPY" on the reverse as required by the Hobby Protection Act. Made in the USA. Comes attached to an 5" x 7" Informational Card.
Click on image for larger version.