From 525 B.C. Egypt was part of the Persian Empire. In 332 B.C. Alexander the Great was crowned as Pharaoh at Memphis. Alexandria was founded the following year and replaced Memphis as capital of Egypt.At its height the Ptolemaic Dynasty was one of the greatest and most prosperous empires in ancient western history. At its peak, Egyptian territories included Phoenicia, Palestine, and Cyprus.
* Ptolemy I, Soter or “Savior” 323-285 B.C. This is a silver Tetradrachm of Ptolemy I as Pharaoh of Egypt.
* Ptolemy II 285-246 B.C. Silver Deckadrachm of Arsinoe II, Queen of Egypt and co-ruler with Ptolemy II.
* Ptolemy III 246-221 B.C. Gold Didrachm of joint rulers of Ptolemy III and Berenike II.
* Ptolemy IV 221-205 B.C. Gold Didrachm of Ptolemy IV.
* Cleopatra VII, 69-30 B.C. Silver Drachma of Cleopatra.
The last Queen of Egypt proved to be a powerful leader in a male-dominated society. Faced with internal and external strife, Cleopatra received Roman support from Julius Caesar. Caesar died in 44 B.C. In 31 B.C. Mark Anthony and Cleopatra combined armies against the Roman navy under Octavian. At the Battle of Actium, Octavian defeated the forces of Cleopatra and Anthony. Rather than live under Roman rule, the last Queen of Egypt committed suicide on August 12, 30 B.C.
This Historical Replica Set includes five (5) double-sided Museum-Quality Replica coins! These coins are replicas and made of lead free pewter. Each coin is marked "COPY" on the reverse as required by the Hobby Protection Act. Made in the USA. Comes attached to an 5" x 7" Informational Card.
Click on image for larger version.